~ THANK YOU~

for sharing all your neat projects, crafty things and garage-sale, yard-sale and flea-market finds.

Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Halloween Bones


Long before normal people are getting their Halloween decor ready... I was making these fake bones. I started these in August and just finished them up in the first week of September!

While there is an ample supply of fake bones in stores I really wanted to have some silver ones, and  I think i did a great job. Alot of the fake bones I have spotted are made of foam, which will fall apart and I will be sweeping the little bits of foam in my home for months and months. Also I really wanted silver ones.

So how did I do it / please keep reading♥ I also made those black wicker-looking decor balls out of raffifia from the Dollar-Rama, they were surprisingly easy to make and have held up extremely well. it was difficult to find small black vase filler like this in my town = so I made my own. And like most of the projects I do - I often forget to take during photos; Sorry!

This entire pile of bones weighs barely anything, which will be awesome for storage. I used BBQ skewers, small foam craft balls, and news paper and for the final covering some old pieces of clothing pattern paper, which is my new favirote paper for crafts and paper mache. 


I added this link to;
Someday Crafts and TaterTots and Jello and Sawdust and Paper-scraps ( Fabulous blog sorry for forgetting to 'link' you



I made 2 different sizes of bones

a pile of silver bones


I used 12' BBQ skewers, or shish-kabob's = whatever they are called and using hot glue gun glue I stuck the ends into the smallest foam craft balls I could find.

I glued the two skewers together in the center and began adding more skewer, cutting them if necessary.

I kept adding the small pieces of skewers to build up the bone.


It became very sturdy, It took approximately 2 hours to make 6 of these from start to finish 

I snipped off the protruding ends of the skewers,  the circular shape of the foam balls is what makes these somewhat realistic.

I wrapped the frame of the bones with news paper, using hot glue to secure it to the frames, then used plain white glue to adhere strips of pattern paper to the bone. When it was dry, I applied 2 coats of Deco Art craft paint in silver. I then dry brushed on a coat of a brown craft paint, getting it into all the nooks and crannies left by the pattern paper. Make Sense?

TOP - 2 coats of silver & dry brushing with the brown
Below - 2 coats of Silver

 i picked these up at the Dollar-Rama I painted them silver with a foam craft brush.

 I used Deco Art Craft paint in silver - this can also be found at the Dollar-Rama


I found that vase at Winners ( T.J.Max ) for 10 bucks a few years ago.


I made the stick flower thing too, and most of those flowers came from the dollar stores here in my town. HERE is the post on those.


I added some silver glitter X-mas Balls, along with some disco balls, bones, skulls and the black wicker-looking vase filler balls.



here is a close up of the black wicker looking vase filler balls.


 I believe this is still available at the Dollar-Rama,

 my skulls.


6 comments:

Lori said...

Came over from Tatertots and Jello, great job on the bones and Halloween decor. Thanks for sharing the idea.

Ann @ makethebestofthings said...

What a creative and clever project, especially the silver bones. Very smart of you! Love your style.

Sawdust Girl said...

Thank you for the "bones" tutorial. They look so realistic and I would never have thought of doing that.

Sawdust Girl said...

p.s. I spotlighted this today.

Jenni R. said...

A little late on my comment from the weekend wrap-up party! Great idea on the bones and using pattern paper for paper mache. Definitely logging this away. Your jar of decor looks great!

Anonymous said...

I'm not sսre why but this blog is lօading very slow foг me.

Is аnyone else hɑving this problem or is it a isѕue on my end?
I'll cheϲk back later and see if tɦe problem still exists.


My homepage best sexiest halloween costume ideas