~ THANK YOU~

for sharing all your neat projects, crafty things and garage-sale, yard-sale and flea-market finds.

Pages

Thursday, October 14, 2010

Cloche


 I love making stuff ~ I whipped up this cloche a few months ago. I used a (pitiful) candle holder, a souvenir plate from Costa Rica, and a glass dome = all found at thrift stores in my town.All the items I bought at the thrift store came to $1.40. The paint, Caulk, and glue-gun I had on hand ( or course! )

I searched for months and months to find a complete 'Cheese Dome' at the thrift stores, and I could not find one anywhere. I did spot several of these 'domes' ranging in price form .50 cents to $3.00.

I felt that some of the items I fund that I could turn into a cloche, would not be a safe base to support the somewhat heavy glass dome. So I had to improvise. I think this turned out really cute.  Those two copper birds I also found at a thrift store in my town for .50 cents each♥


stuff I used

 First, I traced where the candle holder would meet up with the plate lightly with a pencil, I applied DAP paint-able caulk along this line.

 I had to glue gun pieces of cardboard to bulk up this area..... There would be nothing to glue the candle base to the plate. I was not happy to use these bits of cardboard, but I could not rangle up anything else... this was one of those 'midnight crafts'.

Here I have removed piece where a candle would sit, and glue it to the small pieces of cardboard.


 Then I glued the 'stem' back into the candle base

I smoothed out the paint-able Caulk, and let it dry.


I painted the whole piece with Deco Art Craft paint from the Dollar-Rama and gave it 2 coats of Alene's water based varnish in a satin finish. It is a dark brown color that I made with Burnt Umber and Black. However I think it would be better if it was a much darker shade.


.... CAULK = there is no gap between the origional candle holder and the plate ....







No comments: